I'm hip


I'm retro.
I'm modern once again.
The design and music of my childhood is the latest.

Not long ago one of my sons came to me and said:
"Aba, you've got to listen to this new band. It's cool,
and I think you'd like it too."

I did indeed like the music.
It was The Kinks.
The kid was pretty surprised to learn that the music was over 20 years old
and that I dug it very very much.
Have it on my iPod, and on my iBook.

When i was young and hip the first time around I did some album design.
Back then an album represented a big nice canvas.
An LP cover was a great opportunity to express once best creative ideas.

I used to go to record stores just flipping through the records,
for the art.
Occasionally I bought a record based on the cover,
not knowing anything about the music inside.

I never designed a cassette cover, or a CD cover.
Before a few months back when my colleague from Ogilvy, Glenn Wall,
asked me if I would design the cover for his new record.
He writes and plays music that's retro.
Pop that sounds as if it could have been written when I was a kid.
And hip the first time around.
I guess he figured that if he's going to get retro right better recycle
an old art director that's got it naturally.

Listen to the music on
http://www.myspace.com/janglemen

Comments