34th street


It all depends on how you look at it.
Either it's the same every day.
Or it is totally new every day.
If you're a tourist and has never been in the New York Metro system
it might even be a bit exciting. Something to call home to Oslo about.
There was a time when it was rumored to be a bit dangerous.
And probably was. Partly. 
It may still be. The wrong station the wrong hour, with a bit of bad luck.
But basically it's safe. 
It doesn't even have graffiti nowadays.
I feel much safer in the NY underground than I ever felt on the subway in Stockholm, Sweden, when I lived there. And that feeling is probably not false.
I don't have the statistics at hand, but with all the millions of people safely passing through the NY subway system every day it's for sure one of the best ways to travel this jungle.
It just depends on how you look at it.
Personally I look at all the different people, the different scenarios, the different vibes. Changing on the hour and day and season.
The light is pretty dreary. But still, somehow, it makes for quite interesting imagery.
I never quite liked the artificial perfect lighting of most advertising photography.
You go to a place, and then you start putting up all this light. Basically everything changes. 
It becomes a frigging studio. So why the heck go there to begin with?
Sure, a raw flash in a certain space can change the mood totally and add to the scene.
But lighting everything?
I don't think so.
I'm a bit of a purist in one sense.
On the other hand, I hate purism, as it borders on intolerance.
It's a fine balance.
And of course, you could always light that scene in a thousand of ways if you're not pleased with its natural changes. 
Of mood.

Comments